Assistant Professor of Biology, Wilkes University
Liaison between Wilkes University and Wallop's Island Marine Science Consortium
Associated with The Institute for Energy and Environmental Research and
B.S. (Biology), 1987-1991, Rutgers University
M.S. (Biology), 1993-1997, Southeastern Louisiana University and Biological Dynamics of Forest Fragments Project
Advisor: Phil Stouffer
Thesis: Effects of Forest Fragmentation on Neotropical Terrestrial Insectivores
Ph.D. (Biology), 1999-2005, Auburn University, Biology and Center for Forest Sustainability
Advisor: W. Douglas Robinson (currently at Oregon State University)
Dissertation Title: Effects of Land Use Change on Avian Communities
· South American birds in fragmented landscapes
· Grasslands, meadows, and savannahs and grassland bird diversity in nePA (current project)
· The effects of urbanization on avian communities and ecosystem services – Clay Caterpillar Project (current project)
· Ecotoxicology associated with natural gas drilling in eastern PA – will post a link to state report soon
Archosaurs: Birds, Crocodiles and Dinosaurs
· Fetcher, N., S. J. Agosta, J. C. Moore, J. A. Stratford, and M. A. Steele. 2015. The food web of a severely contaminated site following reclamation with warm season grasses. Restoration Ecology.
· Luo, Y., Z. Yang, M.A. Steele, Z. Zhang, J.A. Stratford, and H. Zhang. Hoarding without reward: rodent responses to repeated episodes of complete cache loss. Behavioral Processes. In Press
· Curtis, R. A.W. Bartlow, S. Agosta, J. Clemmons, J. Stratford. 2013. Clay caterpillar whodunit: a customizable method for studying predator-prey interactions in the field. American Biology Teacher. Link to abstract
· Bartlow, A.W., M. Kachmar, N. Lichti, R.K. Swihart, J.A. Stratford, M.A. Steele. 2011. Does multiple seed loading in Blue Jays result in selective dispersal of smaller acorns? Integrative Zoology 6:235-243.
· Stratford, J.A. and C.H. Şekercioğlu. In Press. Birds in Forest Ecosystems. In Handbook of Forest Ecology. Link to book.
· Paul, E., J. Alexander, S. Finnegan, A.L. Bond. J.A. Stratford, S. Weidensaul. Call for Retraction, Bird Banding Opinion Piece Raises Objections [Commentary]. Wildlife Professional Spring 2012:68-69.
· Stratford, J.A. and J.W. Tucker. 2002. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) nest in the east Gulf Coastal Plain of Alabama. Alabama Birdlife 48:10-12.
· Powell, L.L., N.J. Cordeiro, and J.A. Stratford. 2015. Ecology and Conservation of avian insectivores of the rainforest understory: a pantropical perspective. Biological Conservation. In press.
· Stratford, J.A. and P.C. Stouffer. 2015. Forest fragmentation alters habitat availability for Neotropical tropical insectivorous birds. Biological Conservation, in press. Link to abstract.
· Stratford, J.A. and P.C. Stouffer. 2013. Microhabitat associations of terrestrial insectivorous birds in Amazonian rainforest and second-growth forests. Journal of Field Ornithology 84:1-12. Link to pdf
· Stratford, J.A. and W.D. Robinson. 2005. Gulliver travels to the fragmented tropics. Geographic variation in mechanisms of avian extinction. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 3:91-98.
· Stratford, J.A. 2004. Notes on nests of Ruddy Quail-doves (Geotrygon montana), Lesser Swallow-tailed Swifts (Panyptila cayennensis), mouse-colored antshrikes (Thamnophilus murinus), and Scale-backed Antbirds (Hylogphylax poecilinotus) from Central Amazonas, Brazil. Ornithologia Neotropical 15:265-267.
· Stratford, J.A. and P.C. Stouffer. 2001. Reduced feather growth rates of two common birds in a fragmented landscape near Manaus, Brazil. Conservation Biology 15:721-728.
· Stratford. J.A. 2000. A Ferruginous-backed Nest, Myrmeciza ferruginea, nest from Central Amazonas, Brazil. Ararajuba 8:43-44. (PDF)
· Stratford, J.A. and P.C. Stouffer. 1999. Local extinctions of terrestrial insectivorous birds in a fragmented landscape near Manaus, Brazil. Conservation Biology 13:1316-1326.
· Stratford, J.A. and W.D. Robinson. 2005. Distribution of neotropical migratory bird species across an urbanizing landscape. Urban Ecosystems 8:59-77.
· 2010 Wilkes University Outstanding New Faculty Award
· 2014 Wilkes University Faculty Choice Award